Having lymph node under ear and muscles on the throat bulges out while swallowing. Ultrasound is normal. Advice

ENT Specialist
HI doc, I do have a couple questions... . I have a couple things going on with my neck area that are concerning. - First, I have a lymph node just under my ear (my best guess is ext. jugular node) that has been prominent for many months. I had it ultrasounded last week and is normal, but I do have discomfort.. an ache that emits from there and the ache works it's way down my neck into the clavicle area... - Secondly, on that same side of my throat as I swallow... one of my muscles on the throat bulges out when I swallow. This also has been there for months... the doc looked at it and didn't have any thoughts on it. - My TSH test have been very normal for years. - I do have chronic rhinitis which I battle all the time, drainage,etc. - I have had a scope down my nose, down my throat, upper gi... etc. The challenge I have is the ache or discomfort and all this seems connected. I don't know if it is or not, but makes me wonder. I have poked and felt all around my throat, etc and so has the doctor. I don't feel any other lumps, bumps or odd stuff.
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antibiotics, mucolytics & antiseptic gargles, Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX for your health concern. I have gone through your query diligently and I understand your concern. The node you are describing from your description and the ultrasound findings seems to be a benign thing. Also you had basal cell carcinoma which does not usually travel to neck nodes. It is normal to have small nodes in the neck and as long as they do not change much over time or there is something suspicious about these on palpation or USG, they are not to be worried about. The cause can be any focus of infection in the throat or head and neck region or these can be without and discernible cause. You have stated that all your examinations are normal, so, relax. Do get a proper dental check up done as many a times a latent dental infection can also lead to this. Still sometimes you can not associate these nodes with anything. The pain part may improve with a course of antibiotics after getting a prescription from the ENT and long term use of antiseptic mouth washes. Do take mucolytics and steam inhalation for rhinitis part and this should also help. Do keep your self on follow up with the surgeon who has operated for basal cell carcinoma. Hope I have addressed your query. Please do feel free to write back in case you need further clarification. Wishing you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Having lymph node under ear and muscles on the throat bulges out while swallowing. Ultrasound is normal. Advice 40 minutes later
Thanks Dr, I said Rhinitis... but it is Chronic Sinusitis... sorry about that. I am suppose to take fluticasone nasal spray for this problem.... but have not been diligent. I have restarted that treatment and will continue with it to see if that affects the tender node and the discomfort that runs from the node (right behind the ear) down to the neck. I will try to relax about all this for sure... just seems weird when you swallow and the muscle just to the left of your throat pops out... seems abnormal to me. Thank you for all your help, if you have anything else to add, please advise. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 8 hours later
Brief Answer: may need to undergo CT PNS, steam Detailed Answer: Hi, if you are having chronic sinusitis, it is fine to use nasal spray. It is also advisable to undergo CT scan PNS in consultation with your ENT because sometimes the findings are there which are amenable to surgical correction, it gives long term relief. Also taking steam regularly helps in clearing up the sinus drainage pathways. Good luck.