Having lumps all over body. What could this be? Treatment?

MY STEPSON, HE IS 57 AND HAS LUMPS ALL OVER HIS BODY, THEY ARE LIKE WARTS BUT THEY ARE NO WARTS. They are like small little balls hanging over his
body, including his face. Please tell me what it is, so I can talk to him for any treatment.
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.
I am so sorry to hear about what your stepson is experiencing. I know how distressing it is to watch a loved one go through all this. Hope together we find answers and a solution to this.

It would have been ideal to have a picture and take a look. Also, for how long these tumors have lasted? have they been growing slowly over time? Is he having any hearing problems or difficulties with his balance? Any visual problems? Has any one in the family ever presented with something similar?

From the description of symptoms, it could be neurofibromatosis type. Type 1 is more common in young children while type 2 is more common in adults.

There is no real treatment but palliative care can be offered depending on what the implication of the lumps is on the surrounding organs. This is because the lumps are also found in structures like the brain.

I hope this addresses your query at least in full while pending more information from you to give more specific information if need be. I hope to hear from you soon.
I wish him well.
Dr. Ditah, MD.