Having lump under arm pit. Painful, red and filled with fluid. Suggest?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I have a lump under my arm pit. It is painful and filled with fluid. It is red. It did drain some pus. And when it would drain felt much better.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Painful red swelling usually suggest an inflammatory lesion and in your case possibly it is a bacterial infection.

For work up of the lesion, you should at least get a culture and sensitivity of the pus done in a microbiology set up.

Will you tell me since how many days you have this complaint?

I will be happy to answer you, because it will facilitate evaluation.

Thank you once again.
Follow-up: Having lump under arm pit. Painful, red and filled with fluid. Suggest? 21 hours later
About a month. I do see the doctor today.
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I am surprised that you have not taken any treatment since 1 month.

If fever is not an associated symptom through out neither you are loosing weight, chances of chronic infection can be excluded.

I ll be happy to answer, if you have any further query.

All the best.