Having lump on stomach. Report showed intermittent bulge epigastric left area, slight divarication. Meaning?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question

I have a lump on my stomach its on the left hand side underneath my rib cage to the centre, i have been to 2 doctors and they said its not a hernia. One said its inflammation between the abdominals the other has sent me for a ultrasound on it this is written "intermittent bulge epigastric left area, slight divarication". I only noticed it about 1 week ago I have been doing tiling with large tiles and lifting heavy things. The lump only sticks out if I arch my back to push my stomach out. It feels like a muscle its hard but doesn't hurt to push on it What could it be?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be an Imminent Hernia.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I have gone through the picture that was sent, which doesn't seem to be of much significance (as it is barely visible in the picture).

As depicted by your Ultrasound report, the slight divarication (small opening or a weak point) in the rectus abdominis muscle might be causing its contents or the underneath structures to pop up into the space giving you that feel, so I put it as Imminent (about to happen) hernia.

As of now, it's not a matter of concern. But if you keep on doing any activities that increase the intra abdominal pressure, this divarication will become large and may result in actual hernia for which an intervention may be needed.

To be on the safer side, I suggest you to use an elastic compression wrap around the lump area to prevent it from bulging out during your activities.

Hope I have addressed your query.

Follow-up: Having lump on stomach. Report showed intermittent bulge epigastric left area, slight divarication. Meaning? 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply. I haven't had the ultrasound yet, I'm having it done tomorrow (Friday) this was just what the doctor wrote on the referral for the radiologist. Can I do exercises to strengthen my core section? Will it go away? I'm just hesitant to do too much in case I make it worse. Also I have been getting bloating and some reflux, I do suffer anxiety so I'm wondering if its just anxiety causing the tummy problems or if its this lump.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please avoid any exercises till final diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

No, You are not supposed to indulge in any exercises as it may worsen your condition. Please wait till your ultrasound report comes, with final diagnosis.

Anxiety, bloating and acid reflux are all interrelated, one problem causing the other.
Anxiety may cause the tummy problems like bloating, but it won't cause any lump formation.

Hope I have justified your query. Good day

Follow-up: Having lump on stomach. Report showed intermittent bulge epigastric left area, slight divarication. Meaning? 1 minute later
Yes, thank you for your help :)

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Wishing you Good health. Have a great day.