Having lump on carotid artery. Sore to touch. Feels while moving neck. Any advice?

I have a lump on the right side of my neck at the base of my neck. I believe it's on my carotid artery. it is about the size of a quarter and is sore to the touch. The area of my carotid is sore to the touch all the way up to the jaw. I can also feel it's presence when I move my neck. What is your opinion and advise? Thank you for your help.
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Hi, Thanks for using the XXXXXXX

As you have stage 4 liver diseases the chances of infection are more. The tender lump at the base of neck may be due to infection at that site or due to lymphnode.

If the lump is on carotid artery as you mentioned, better to consult the physician for examination and management since the pressure on the carotid artery increases blood pressure (You are also on antihypertensive medication).

I like to advice you to consult your physician to examine you and start antibiotic course for the infection.

As you have stage 4 liver diseases get Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis done and if necessary biopsy of the lump in neck and AFP levels done after consulting your doctor to rule out any other disease.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Thanks, get well soon....

Dr Vidya KR