Having lump in urethra. Severe bruising underneath the penis. Remedy?

I am a 61 yo male. I have a lump in/on my urethra. It is in the top third of the penis. I noticed it about a month ago following what appeared to be severe bruising underneath the penis starting at the glans and continuing about half way down the penis. There is no pain(even if touched), no discharge or difficulty urinating. I have not (to my knowledge) had an STI.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 13 hours later

Thanks for sharing your health concerns.

The location of the lesion makes it concerning and therefore should be physically examined by a provider; different causes are possible, including infections, abnormal growths (both benign and malignant) or other inflammatory causes.

Your provider may run some basic blood tests, including screening for sexually transmitted diseases, determine if cultures are needed and if sometimes a biopsy specimen could be required. A urologist would be the best specialist to take a look.

Hope this is helpful, wish you the best health, blessings,

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN