Having lump in lower palm, feeling painful and burns when apply pressure. Have bleeding disorder. X-ray normal. Suggestions

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a lump in the lower palm by my thumb. It is very painful and burns when I apply pressure. It does not hurt to use my thumb or fingers. I have a bleeding disorder that does not allow me to take ibuprofen. I had an x-ray and there was nothing abnormal there.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us

I am Dr Vaibhav Gandhi - an orthopaedic surgeon. I would like to know the following details:

Did you sustain any injury to thumb?
Are there any sign of infection like -redness / raised local temperature?

It looks like a soft tissue lump from your description. Soft tissue collections such as blood (hematoma) secondary to bleeding disorder is a possibility. You can try icepack fomentation and if the pain is severe, opioid anaglesics (pain reliever) can be helpful.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Having lump in lower palm, feeling painful and burns when apply pressure. Have bleeding disorder. X-ray normal. Suggestions 1 hour later
I did not injure the thumb but did do some very heavy lifting. I have had hematoma's in the past that have needed surgical removal. I do bruise and bleed very easily because of the platelet problem. I did see a nurse practitioner and had an x-ray last week. I am going to guess a small hematoma would not show up on an x-ray. The lump was not there when I had the x-ray, only the pain. I do have a thumb immobilizer and some ultram for pain. It is so difficult not to have NSAIDSs as an option for inflammation. I would like to think it will be better with time and rest.
I do appreciate your fast response. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 53 minutes later

It's good that you don't have any injury.

Small hematoma do subside with time. Use thumb immobilizer. Acetaminophen (tylenol) in moderation is the next alternative to opioid analgesic. Seek your doctor's help if the pain and discomfort is troubling you for many days.

It will get better with rest, icepack and medication.