Having lumbar issue. X-ray showed normal. What treatment should I take?

Nov 2013

I have lower back/Lumbar issue for which i have consulted lot of orthos but it still persist. I have got xrays done as well which showed that everything is normal. I sometime feel that it has something to do with mucle sprain due to sports injury that happeed long time back but it keeps coming back.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 days later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
You have intermittent low back pain. As you have mentioned, muscle sprain is one of the commonest cause. Sometimes, we refer to this condition as "mechanical back pain". This could be due to injuries such as in sports or after a minor accident, etc.
At present, there is no need to worry. However, if you have symptoms such as radiating pain to the leg, or tingling/numbness in legs/feet or weakness of legs, then it could be a problem of nerve compression in lumbar region. At that stage, you may require MRI scan of the lumbar spine.
As of now, you need to undergo physiotherapy. There, you will be taught back extension exercises, which you should do twice a day. This will prevent recurrence of back pain.
Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Having lumbar issue. X-ray showed normal. What treatment should I take? 47 hours later
Thank you doctor XXXXXXX

But I think the second part of your reply is what describes my current situation. I have pain that run down my leg and also in the feet. Numbness is something I haven't noticed but this pain has been there for sometime now. I drive daily which is also making it a little difficult for me.
The reason for asking neurology help at this time was that initially when it happened I got MRI done as well and that time neurologist mentioned that there is nothing wrong with any nerve.
But if you suggest I will consult a neuro locally and get MRI done as well.
Thanks for your assistance.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you for getting back with more details.
Based on the description, you have radicular pain, which is suggestive of MRI lumbar spine. I would agree with your suggestion of consulting a neurologist and getting the MRI done again.
Treatment would include certain medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin along with vitamins and physiotherapy.
In Bangalore, you could consult Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX at Manipal Hospital, Bangalore or Dr XXXXXXX at Columbia Asia Hospital.
Best wishes,