Having lower left pelvic pain. Should I go to the ER?

I am on day 16 of my period. Last night I woke to lower left pelvic pain that has kept me awake since. Should I go to the ER?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, if the pain is severe enough to wake you up and keep you awake it may be best to be evaluated.

Pain in the left pelvis is most commonly related to the uterus and ovaries though other structures like the intestines ( for example in persons with severe constipation ) can also cause this type of pain. It can also occur due to the musculosketal system in persons with a history of joint pain in the left hip but this pain would normally be worse with specific movements of the hip.

The most common reason for pain related to the ovaries is ovarian cyst which are found in alot of women. These cyst can become inflammed, bleed or burst and these can result in painful episodes.
In some cases the treatment can just be watchful waiting but in other cases surgery may be required.

Your doctors will likely suggest an ultrasound of the pelvis to determine the exact cause of your symptoms.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions