Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could be the cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have 4 weeks of lower back pain, thought to be muscle strain. Its not getting worse but not improving. Recently i have a tingling and pulsating sensation in my lower back when I lye down. What do you think is going on?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs investigations to find cause. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain of the lower side of your back can be due to- 1. Lumbar muscle strain- due to tear or pull of muscle fibres. 2. Infections like paraspinal abscess. 3. Lumbar disc herniation, sciatica, etc. 4. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis. 5. Weak core muscles-Strengthening the muscles that support the spine helps keep the spine in its proper position and reduce risk of sprains, strains and lower back pain. 6. Vitamin D3 deficiency. Proper diagnosis involves investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray and MRI of the spine after an examination by your primary physician. The treatment will then depend on the cause. Hot fomentation and oral muscle relaxants can provide a temporary relief till then. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.