Having lower back pain with numbness in thighs. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, I am having lower back pain with a numbness on the surface of my right thigh. The numbness is only on the outside upper part of the thigh. After standing for some time, a sharp pain is felt in the same area of the thigh. The pain comes and goes.
This has been an on and off problem since this August. What do you think?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to spondylottic changes in spine.

Detailed Answer:
The low back pain with numbness on the right thigh is likely to be due to spondylottic changes in the spine which causes the spinal level.
These are age related degenerative changes in the spine and are progressive in nature.
Adequate bed rest and physical therapy are the mainstay of treatment.
Improvising your posture while standing will be helpful in retarding the further progress of such changes.
For symptomatic treatment taking methylcobalamin supplements will be helpful.
Doing an MRI scan of the lumbo sacral spine will help in confirming the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.