Ask a Urologist   »  

Having lower back pain near kidney. Found blood in urine. No relief from bactrim. How to get relief?

I went to the ER with pain in lower back near Kidney area. I was told that i had blood in my urine and that they where goning to check for Kidney stones by catscan. After catscan the doctor said no stones but had bacteria in my kidney. He gave me 3 days of Bactrim and some pain pills and that was that. It is now 4 days later and I am still having pains. Last weekend before I had the pain I had a fever Sat and Sun.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are some common bacteria that can cause urinary tract infections, the urine analysis done is the ER would have shown white blood cells which are indicative of infection, but it would not have demonstrated the exact bacteria involved.It also would not have determined whether it was sensitive to the antibiotic given.

Bactrim is one of the most common antibiotics used for urinary tract infections and most people respond to it. There are , however a subset of persons who may be infected by an uncommon pathogen/bacteria or whose bacteria is resistant to some antibiotics.

Since the pain is still present, it is likely that you may fall into one of these categories.
You may need to consider , if possible , visiting your doctor who will likely send a sample of urine to the lab where sensitivity testing can be done, this normally takes 2 to 3 days. In the meantime , he or she will likely consider changing your antibiotic to one with a wider spectrum of action.
If the sensitivity report indicates that you are resistant to the new antibiotic as well then it may have to be changed.

Continue drinking alot of fluid to flush the kidneys.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions