Ask a Urologist   »  

Having lower back pain and noticed white specks in urine. Is this a sign of an illness?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My urine is thick with white chunky pieces. what does that mean. Lower back has been hurting last two days
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 32 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

The whitish thing you see in the urine could be desquamated epithelium or the inspissated secretions from the vagina or the cervix.This is commonly seen in pregnant women and occur under the influence of normally increased progesterone hormone.

You may have to get your self examined by a gynecologist to ascertain the fact.Need not worry , this is not serious and do not cause any complications. However I suggest a close observation of the urine and if it more than usual you should address with the Primary doctor.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Having lower back pain and noticed white specks in urine. Is this a sign of an illness? 19 minutes later
I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome so I do not have high progesterone levels. I tend to have high Testosterone. Could it be a sign of kidney infection? It was a lot at one point.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query again.

Turbid urine and whitish chunk may indicate an doctor to confirm the diagnosis . This might require a thorough examination and baseline investigations like urine routine test , renal profile etc
If a urinary infection is confirmed then your doctor will put you on a course of antibiotics for 10 days or so.
In addition you should drink lots of water to help in faster recovery.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.