Having lower back pain along with spasmodic pain after sitting for a long. Effective remedy?

I have low backache since 7-8 months along with spasmodic pain after long hours of sitting.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later

Thanks for asking.

Back pain is a condition of varied etiology and lot of factors play a role .As you are 25 years of age, it needs to be investigated properly so that it does not affect your quality of life in future.

ASO Titer is raised in streptococcal infection and in no way in isolation points towards the rheumatic fever, if there are no other symptoms in the form of cardiac problems.

Similarly, uric acid levels are also very non-specific test and a level of 7.5 does not justify the severity of the back pain you are experiencing.

Also thoracic outlet syndrome can cause nerve compressive symptoms in the arm but should not cause sustained back pain.

There are several common other potential sources and causes of back pain: these include spinal disc herniation and degenerative disc disease or isthmic spondylolisthesis, osteoarthritis (degenerative joint disease) and lumbar spinal stenosis, trauma, cancer, infection, fractures, and inflammatory disease.

I will advise you to go for imaging (MRI scan) of the spine to see what exactly is the cause of the pain. Also, get yourself checked for ankylosing spondylitis as well by checking the HLA B27 levels.

Hope it helps, if you have any other query, please let me know.