Having lower back pain. X-ray normal. Doing stretching exercise. What else should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

I am having a lower back ache since last 3 yrs now.

I have have visited many Ortho and underwent an Xray but nothing is been detected.

Pain is such that I cant sit without support for more than 10min OR cant stand bent like we do XXXXXXX for more than 5min.

I am doing 10 min stretching exercise for back, but that is not helping me or completely solving my problem. Kindly advice.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 53 minutes later

Thanks for writing in,

Pain more while sitting and on forward bending are usually signs of inter vertebral disc prolapse. Changes in the inter vertebral disc cannot be seen in Xray. You would need an MRI of your spine to find out the exact cause and severity of the condition. If the disc has started pressing over the nerves, then the pain can come down your leg or might cause decreased sensation in your leg. All these changes can only be seen in MRI.

Till you take an MRI, it is advisable not to lift heavy weights, keep changing your sitting posture, lie only on hard surface while taking rest or sleep. A course of NSAID's with muscle relaxant will help you in decreasing the acute pain. It is not advisable to do any modalities of exercises till the pain gets under control.

Hope i have answered your query. Feel free to ask doubts if any.
Get well soon,
Follow-up: Having lower back pain. X-ray normal. Doing stretching exercise. What else should I do? 3 minutes later
Kindly suggest any specification for MRI.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 12 minutes later
Ideally, we need a thorough clinical examination of your spine and find the exact site of pathology. Depending upon the findings, MRI has to be taken. Since you have specified that your pain is in low back, you can go for MRI - Lumbo-Sacral Spine.

Follow-up: Having lower back pain. X-ray normal. Doing stretching exercise. What else should I do? 2 hours later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your valuable inputs.
I had just been to Dr. at my office to take prescription for MRI. however he has prescribed me few medicine as below:

- Proxym MR
- Rantidine D
for 10 days.

Kindly advise how it will help me.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later
Proxym MR is NSAID+Muscle relaxant, which will decrease your pain and spasm. Rantidine D is to decrease gastritis due to Proxym MR. Take Proxym MR after food and Ranitidine D 30 in before food.

You can take these medications as per your doctor's advice and review with him after 10 days. Hard bed rest, avoiding sitting for prolonged time in same posture, avoiding lifting of heavy weights have to be continued. If the pain is still there even after 10 days or if the pain recurs after resuming exercises then your doctor might advise you to go for MRI.

Hope i have answered your queries.
Get well soon.