Having lower abdominal pain while urinating. Any thoughts?

My 10 yo son is complaining of lower abdominal ache that begins while urinating, and continues for a little bit after, then subsides. Ache is on both sides, but has also been more on the right side at times, not associated with his belly button. He is otherwise healthy, no other symptoms. He does not feel the need to urinate more frequently, no pain or burning in the tube when he urinates. He states this has been going on for about 2 months now, and not severe enough to remember to mention it before, but ongoing long enough now, he thought he better say something. Any thoughts?
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I can appreciate your concern.

There are various reasons for abdominal pain while urination. The common ones are:

Other conditions of the urinary tract (kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra) Conditions of reproductive system.

A symptomatic urine infection in child is not uncommon.

I think he needs medial examination and evaluation by doctor. After examination your doctor as per need may advise some investigations like urine examination and ultrasound to look for the probable cause.

In mean time, ask him to take plenty of fluids and regular diet. Ask him to avoid holding urine for long time.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask again if you have something more to ask.

Wishing him great health.