Having lower abdominal pain on the right side. Is it an appendix infection?

hi i have been having a different lower abdomenal pain in the right side since a couple of weeks how would i know if i have got appendix or not
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 33 minutes later

I want a more details in order to come to a conclusion.

1. Is the pain present through out the day? What releives you from pain?
2. Is the pain dull/pricking/ sharp shooting/twisting type?
3. Is the pain more during your bowel moments?
4. Do you have difficulty in passing motion? Any change in the form of stool?
5. Any history of fever recently/loose motion?

Normally in appendicitis, the pain will be severe and unbearable, initially paining in the region around the umbilicus and then slowly as the size of the appendix increases, there is pain in the lower right abdomen. It will also be associated sometimes with loose motion and vomiting. Patients also develop fever. It is a surgical emergency and has to be treated with surgical removal of the appendix.

It is diagnosed with the help of the ultra sound abdomen which spots the inflammation of the appendix. Blood reports like complete blood count indicates increased total white blood cell count and also increased erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR).

I hope I have answered your query, please get back to me with the questions I have posed.