Having lower abdominal pain on stretching to the groin. What is the remedy?

lower abdominal pain on right side stretching to the groin. Experienced sharp pain after playing soccer.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible musculoskeletal injury

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

This is an excellent question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

It is important to note your history of kidney stones. Kidney stones typically present with back pain or flank pain radiating to the groin. This is certainly a consideration in your history.

You also mentioned that the pain seemed to start somewhat shortly after playing soccer. Soccer is a very vigorous sport requiring a high degree of agility and rapid movement from side to side. Injury to the groin is common in this type of sport. This is especially true in competitive soccer. Simply kicking a ball at a certain angle might also stretched ligaments and muscles.

I would suggest that you consider using anti-inflammatory medication for the next couple of days. Ibuprofen is generally a good choice. If symptoms persist or you notice any blood in the urine or discomfort with urination this is something you would want to bring to the attention of your primary care doctor.

you might also consider local therapy including ice for the first 24 hours and then transitioned to heat or warm soaks.

Thank you again for sending the question. Let me know if you have additional specific questions regarding this matter.

Dr. Robert