Ask a Urologist   »  

Having lower abdominal pain. Why do I feel like urge to urinate all the time?

urge to uae the toiletI am comcerned because I have been getting an urge to pee even when I don't have to. I aso have pain on low abdomen and although there s no blood in the urine air see a streak of blood when I wipe on the toilet paper. I am very scared . Please help.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Possible causes are
1. Infection in the urine.
2. Stone or tumor in the bladder.
3. Sensitive bladder (Overactive bladder)
If the urine test is sterile and the ultrasound scan does not show stone/ tumor in the bladder, you may have a condition called OVERACTIVE BLADDER – OAB (sensitive bladder).
This means that the bladder tends to empty before it reaches its capacity.

SO, the first thing is to do urine analysis and a scan of the abdomen to rule out stone/ tumor in the bladder and then the physician will guide you regarding the medications for OAB.
These tests may also help to find out the cause of the blood streak.

Meanwhile life style changes that would help
1.     Reduced fluid intake after 6 pm.
2.     Reduced coffee and carbonated drinks after 4 pm.
3.     To empty the bladder just before sleep time.

Kindly take medical advice and get well soon. The doctor will work on these lines to make you better.
Follow-up: Having lower abdominal pain. Why do I feel like urge to urinate all the time? 43 minutes later
I heard about painful bladder syndrome is oab the same? and I had a bladder sonogram and I was told I had a very small bladder but was not told about any abnormallity
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 53 minutes later
Welcome back. That's a very valid question.
PBS is a condition diagnosed after excluding all known causes and if the problem exists for a long time in terms of months or years. OAB is just urgency and frequency without pain.
Bladder capacity is commented better on other tests like voiding cysto-urethrogram and ultrasound gives only a rough idea on bladder capacity.
What about urine routine and culture tests and how long do u have the symptoms?
What does your doc feel about your condition?
I will be happy to know all these and give my suggestions to make my sincere attempt to ease your condition.
Best regards
Follow-up: Having lower abdominal pain. Why do I feel like urge to urinate all the time? 10 hours later
I have had symptoms for about 2 months also have cramps and bladder spasms.I feel better usually after moving my bowels since I suffer from cpmstipation. I will be seeing a urologist next week. I am just very comcerned
my urinology has been neg for infection
Welcome back.
Getting bowels smooth is very important to keep urination smooth.
Pls let me know on the opinion of your urologist.
Your problem looks quite treatable and there should be no worry.
Best regards