Having lower abdomen pain. Not gone to menopause. On Megestrol. Having pain during intercourse. What can bed done?

After 8 plus years of dealing with numerous medium size fibroids 2 to 4 cm (had Focused Ultrasound in 2008), my uterus is now the size of 14 week pregnancy and I feel constant sometimes bearable and sometimes not pain in lower abdomen and back. I am 52 and have not gone into menopause which I had hoped would happen a long time ago. I was just told last week I had precancerous cells in my uterus following an endometrial biopsy. I was placed on Megestrol for three months and then I will have another biopsy in October.

Alone, I think I could beat both with medication or until menopause with the fibroids, but together I am wondering if a hysterectomy might be the option I should take. My group of physicians have been great and have previously supported my choice to not have surgery but they are constantly asking why I am putting up with these monsters. Recently I have experienced pain during intercourse.

I sure would appreciate input from anyone experiencing any of these problems Thank you so much.

Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 21 minutes later

Thanks for your detailed description. The fibroids are now interfering with your lifestyle and quality of life, and once they become so big, additional problems may ensue, including heavier bleeding with anemia, the possibility of torsion or infarction of the fibroids as they grow; since you are past childbearing age, you can live without an uterus and lead a completely normal life. An hysterectomy seems highly reasonable. If your physicians believe you are not a high risk candidate, the benefits in quality of life can clearly outweigh the risks.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN