Having low temperature, nausea, running nose and soar throat. Suggest

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello! I would like to hear your advise on what possibly can be wrong with me. I have lower then normal temperature 94.7, soar throat, stuffed and constantly running nose, nausea that leads me to throw up at least ones a day. I am not pregnant. Sincerely thank you for your advise.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. You are probably suffering from acid reflux.

2. This would cause all the symptoms mentioned above.

3. Sinusitis and allergic rhinitis should be ruled out and the nasal secretions should be examined. Do you have any history of a head injury, vision problems or headaches in the past?

4. Take an opinion of a Gastroenterologist for the treatment of acid reflux.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having low temperature, nausea, running nose and soar throat. Suggest 7 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response. I don't recall any head injuries or history of headaches. I started wearing glasses 5 years ago, not too strong. Could you recommend what should I do now to overcome this episode? I spent last 4 days in bed unable to do anything for the luck of energy and difficulties to breath due to stuffed nose. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done on a multi-slice CT Scan machine. This may be done pre and post decongestion with xylometazoline nasal drops. There should be 1 mm cuts in the coronal, axial and saggital planes. This CT scan will settle the issue whether you have sinusitis or not and where the nasal obstruction exists. You may share the images here for an accurate assessment.

2. Nasal turbinate hypertrophy can lead to nasal obstruction besides septal deviations and nasal valve problems. Radio-frequency ablation, coagulation and balloon sinuplasty are new options to traditional sinus surgery.

3. Sleep Apnea (Snoring) may be responsible for your poor quality of sleep. This may also be due to nasal stuffiness. Get a Sleep Study (Polysomnography) done.

4. I recommend that you take a trial of medication for two weeks with an anti-allergic, anti-leukotriene, steroid nasal spray and regular steam inhalation before any surgical treatment.

Regards.