Having low sugar. Sugar level comes down below 40. After medicine it shoot up to 100-120. Ruled out 'growth' in pancreas. Guide

Feb 2013

Dear Doctor,
I am XXXXXXX from Mumbai and one of my cousin brother's infant (1 month old) has low sugar issue and still in hospital at Kollam after delivery and he is in medication. Once the doctor reduced the medicine level, the infant's sugar level comes down below 40. After provide medicine it shoot up to 100-120. The treating doctor rule out 'growth' in pancreas. Because of the variation in the sugar level they were not able to discharge from hospital. Could you please guide us with some points and provide us your address and phone number, if needed to consult. My number :0000
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The causes of low blood glucose in newborns are prematurity, intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR), large babies (newborns with diabetic mother, Rh negative incompatibility), and in newborns with tumors producing insulin, and some newborns with syndromes with large babies.

And the other causes are polycythemia, galactosemia, fructose intolerance, and endocrine and metabolic problems.

What is his birth weight?

Is he premature or IUGR?

Is there any Rh negative blood group incompatibility between baby and mother?
Is mother diabetic?

Other causes of hypoglycemia like errors of aminoacid metabolism, carbohydrate metabolism, and endocrine problems to be ruled out with appropriate investigations.

The management is to monitor child glucose levels at regular intervals, to maintain his blood glucose in normal range by giving glucose infusion and various drugs like steroid, diazoxide, and glucagon in a step wise protocol depending on the response of the child and his glucose levels and to investigate the reasons for persistent low blood glucose levels.

Other management includes feeding and control of fits if they are present due to low blood glucose.

Some times surgery may be needed to decrease the production of insulin if it is due to high insulin production.

You can take my phone number and address from this portal with the permission of the moderator if you want to discuss further or you can contact me with your follow up queries.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

I wish the little one fast recovery.

Follow-up: Having low sugar. Sugar level comes down below 40. After medicine it shoot up to 100-120. Ruled out 'growth' in pancreas. Guide 3 days later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for your feedback. Could you please provide me your contact number, since I would like to talk with you in detail, because the situation of the baby is still the same.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

I am sorry to hear the same situation of the kid.

My contact mobile number is 0000.

Still you can contact me on this site with further clarifications.