Having low pain after removal of catheter from penis. Suggested cystourethroscopy. What should I ask for pain control?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a very low pain threshold - my penis still hurts from the removal of a catheter that was inserted until all of the blood clots were flushed. The urologist now wants to do a cystourethroscopy and I am scared to let this occur based on the enormous pain that has already occurred. What should I demand as the patient for some comfort or pain control at the office?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi sir and welcome to XXXXXXX
some minor pain is expected after catheter removal but is shouldnt be significant. SO this may indicate some pathology in your case and endoscopy is necessary.
Usually, local anasthetic is used and it should prevent pain during the procedure. but you can ask for sedation or general anasthesia during the procedure so you wont feel any pain because you will sleep. ALso, some stronger painkillers can be given before and after the procedure. SO you dont have to worry,doctors will know how to manage pain if it occurs. WIsh you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Having low pain after removal of catheter from penis. Suggested cystourethroscopy. What should I ask for pain control? 40 minutes later
Well your general statement about doctors may be true - but obviously my experience shows differently. I did take some vicodine before the removal and made no difference.. I will ask about sedation - but I hold out no expectation
Should I go ahead with CYSTOURETHROSCOPY knowing that my cat scan was not reviewed?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 54 minutes later
I am sorry about bad experience,but it is most important now to establish the right diagnosis and start with optimal treatment. CT scan and cystoscopy have different diagnostic use. Cystoscopy is more specific for intraluminal visualisation of urinary tract so it may reveal some pathology that CT cant. But I agree that CT should be reviewed first so you should insist on it before you do CUS unless there is an emergeny such as blood in urine, ureteric stone or urine flow obstruction. Regards