Having low levels of menstruation. Is this something abnormal?

Mar 2016

I am 29 years old. For the past 3 months I am having low levels of menstruation. The cycle is regular and on-time (in 28 days) but the duration has reduced from 3 days to 2 or 1.5 days with regular bleeding levels during the 2 or 1.5 days.
Would like to know if this is abnormal and if so what steps are to be taken.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

Normal period lasts for 3 to 5 days in most women. However, less than 2 days is not always normal. Less amount menstrual bleeding is called hypomenorrhea in medical term. It may be due to hormonal imbalance, mental stress or depression, taking psychiatric medication, ovarian cyst, pelvic infection, anemia, improper diet habit or digestion problem etc.

Here, I suggest you to undergo some basic investigations like ultrasound scan, hormone test (thyroid, D21-progesterone), blood Hb% & sugar level etc. These will help to pinpoint the diagnosis and give proper treatment. You can consult with your gynecologist for proper guidance.

In the mean time, do the following things to get effective result:

1) Take iron and vitamin supplements with your diet (enriched with vegetables, animal protein and pulses).
2) Do regular meditation or yoga for 15-30 min to avoid mental stress/ anxiety or depression.
3) Drink more water or fruit juice to stay hydrated and better systemic circulation.
4) Maintain genital hygiene properly and do light exercise to control body weight.
5) Some supportive medications may be required on the basis of test reports.

In addition, you can take this food stuff like broccoli, fennel seeds, salmon fish (rich in vitamin D & calcium), green vegetables (like spinach, brinjal etc), fish or fish oil (rich in omega-3 fatty acid), almonds, sesame seeds, yoghurt dairy product, soy milk, boiled egg, red or black grapes, tofu or paneer etc. These are quite helpful to increase menstrual flow.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through