Having low hemoglobin level. Taking poly iron capsule and fer-in-sol drops. Irregular heart beat. Normal EKG, thyroid

May 2013
Do you think taking one poly iron 150 capsule a day will help me to feel better soon? I have been taking one poly iron 150 capsule a day since XXXXXXX 21, 2012. Five weeks ago my hemoglobin was 9.8. On May 25, 2012, I started taking fer-in-sol liquid drops, but, only about 7.5 mg iron a day. I took that everyday until XXXXXXX 14, 2012. So that was about 21 days. My period was from XXXXXXX 14, 2012 to about XXXXXXX 18, 2012, normal to moderate flow. I weigh 87lbs, 5'4", 30 years old. I am forcing myself to eat at least 1,438 calories a day to maintain my weight. I have a fast pulse of 98-100bpm. It feels liks I am having fast or irregular heart beat. I went to the doctor, got an EKG, the doctor says my EKG was perfect. My thyroid levels are normal too.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

according to your description,

-you are anemic, the normal hemoglobin level in woman should be between 12 to 15gm/dl,

-you are under weight, according to your height your weight should be 60kgs,

-up to 100bpm heart beat is normal only but higher side, that may be because of anemia, irregularity in pulse may also be because of that,
as your doctor told your ECG is normal, no need to worry about it,

-you can take Poly-iron 150 capsules which contain oral iron 150 mg as polysaccharide complex for iron supplementation but better after consulting your doctor because sometimes it may cause side effects like allergic reactions, decreased appetite, dark stools etc.

when hemoglobin improves the symptoms of anemia also will improve.
as compared with other drugs this capsule is said to have more iron you may improve soon.

at the same time you try to rule out the possibility of indigestion may be because helmenthic worms in stools etc with your doctor's guidance.

-along with that you have to take enough food which is XXXXXXX in calories to improve your health and weight.
-you can also use muti vitamins and minerals capsules, syrups with digestive enzymes with your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.