Having low back pain. Taking over the counter urinary help medicine. Suffer runny nose, pain and itchiness in breasts. Could this be STD?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hello is been 3 weeks i had pain in my lower back on the left side , when i raise my legs it hurts and when i sneeze it also hurts in there , i thought it was my back but i came to the conclusion that it could also be my kidneys, I am also afraid that it might be an std , i have only one sexual partner but before i had unprotected sex , i started taking some over the counter urinary help medicine ( i do not have pain when i go to pee ) and it helped with the pain but it is still there , other symptoms i have are runny nose and since yesterday pain and itchiness on my breasts and nipple area , from 1-10 i would say the pain is 8-9 and the itchiness 4-5 but in the night it gets worse and i see on my skin on the breast area and body as well sometimes a red rash but i am not sure if it is due to me scratching all over my body ( i try not to ) also is been twice that happens that i eat and then i start feeling pain on the same place on my back left side and i feel like gasses coming up and feel like burping then it makes me dizzy and i need to throw up and once i throw up the pain goes again , could this be an std ? i am very scared
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be STD or Kidney related problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on the description and your symptoms, it is very unlikely that your symptoms are due to STD or a Renal (kidney) problem. Because in both these conditions, along with back pain, you will have some symptom related to your lower urinary tract like painful or burning micturition, lower abdominal pain, increased frequency of urine, presence of Fever etc. An Ultrasound examination of the abdomen will rule out any renal or pelvic causes of pain.

For your other symptoms like pain & itchiness on your breasts and rash, either you have to seek the opinion of a Gynecologist or a Family physician.

As your back pain is becoming worse during raising the leg and while sneezing, it is likely to be due to a Lumbar disc disease (protruded intervertebral discs causing pressure over the nerve roots). An MRI scan of the Lumbar spine will confirm the diagnosis.

I suggest you to consult your treating physician for a detailed evaluation and further management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further.