Having low back pain. Had physical therapy and shots. Taking lortab. Any alternative medicine?

im 53 years old. I have live with low back pain over 5 years now it can get bad.setting and then trying to stand up can be hard it depends on how long I been setting and what chair I sitting on and sitting in car and driving and getting in out of the car all day.can be hard.i have had shots,physical therphy and I take lortab daily 3 times a day.the lortab helps but it hurts a lot its like I said depend on what I sit on and there something I can take that help me more then lortab.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 36 hours later

It is really bad to have a constant lower backache as it disturbs your daily activity.

It is no point to keep on taking pain killers like LORTAB for such a long time since this not only causes physical and emotional dependance but also can damage the kidneys.

LORTAB contains HYDROCODONE which is a synthetic opiate.

Try to decrease the consumption of LORTAB gradually and may resort to local application of heat and occasional use of ibuprofen.

The most important point regarding your backache is the diagnosis of cause.

These causes can range from local spinal issues like arthritis,disc herniation,spondylosis thesis,osteoporosis of bones etc to gynaecological problems like ovarian tumours,uterine fibroids etc to diabetic related neuropathy to drug induced problem from the use of statins etc.

Basically you require a thorough physical examination by not only an orthopedician but also a Gynecologist and a diabetologist.

You would require a betters of tests like blood tests,urine test,ultra sound/ CT abdomen,CT / MRI of spine,bone density tests etc.

Once a cause is found,your treatment shall become easy and then you won't have to be dependent on pain killers permanently.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck