Having low back pain. Feeling tingling and numbness in foot. Not able to balance. Suggest

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
HELLO I HAVE PAIN IN MY LOW BACK RUNNING DOWN THE SIDE OF MY LEFT LEG MY FOOT IS TINGLING AND NUMB, I FEEL PRESSURE IN MY LOWER BACK, PAIN THAT RADIATES DOWN MY LEFT HIP AND THE NUMBNESS IS GETTING WORSE. MY LEFT LEG IS HEAVY AND I FEEL LIKE I AM DRAGGING IT, AND MY BALANCE IS POOR, I HAVE HAD 18 FALLS SINCE MARCH, MY LEG JUST GIVES OUT WITHOUT WARNING. MY INNER THIGH, GROIN AND PELVIC AREA FEEL ODD CANT REALLY EXPLAIN AND I CANT CONTROL MY BLADDER AT TIMES. WHEN I LAY DOWN THE PAIN IS WORSE. I HURT MY BACK IN 2001 IN A TWISTING MOTION CARRING SOME BOXES, HOWEVER THE PAIN RESOLVED AFTER A FEW MONTHS, IN 2010 I HAD A BAD FALL FLIPPED OUT OF A CHAIR, THEN OVER A BOX AND THAT IS WHEN THE PAIN STAR TED AGAIN. I HAVE NOT GOTTEN RID OF THE PAIN SINCE THE 2010 ACCIDENT. I WANT TO KNOW DID THE 2001 BACK INJURY HURT ME MORE, OR IS THE 2010 A SEPERATE INJURY. ALSO, DO I NEED SURGERY? WHAT CAN I DO OTHER THEN PAIN MEDICATION? I HAVE HAD ALL KINDS OF PHYSICAL THERAPY, AND HAVE HAD SEVERAL SHOTS IN MY BACK AND NECK. IN 2010, THE ACCIDENT HURT MY NECK, MY KNEES AND R ANCKLE. I HAD A MRI OF MY BACK YESTERDAY AND I DO NOT UNDERSTANS WHAT IT MEANS. IT READS:

EXAM: (MR-15:50:52.000) L SPINE W WO INF (ERD);;Ax T1 C+ FS

NO FX/SUBLUX

MULTILEVEL DDD/FACET ARTHROSIS

L1-L2 MILD BBDB NO CCS/NFN

-L2-L3 MILD BBDB W/DISC BULDG INTO RT NFN ABUTTING TH L3 ROOT NO CCS

MILD MOD NFN B/L

-L3-L4 MILD BBDB NO CCS FACET ARTHROSIS> LT W/MOD TO SEVERE NFN LT AND ABUTMENT OF THE L4 ROOT MOD NFN RT

-L4-L5 MILS BBDB AND FACET ARTHROSIS MOD NFN B/L NO CCS

-L5-S1 MILD BBDB NO CCS MILD NFN B/L

END OF REPORT

IN CLOSING DO I NEED SURGERY? IS MY BACK BAD DUE TO 2001 OR THE 2010 ACCIDENT.

THANK YOU.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
It seems that the more severe pains, numbness and bladder problem started after 2010 incident.
The MRI scan is suggestive of a generalized degenerative disc disease with nerve root compression at the level of L3-L4. This can happen after an injury to the back or due to age related degenerative changes.
The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines ( pain killers and muscle relaxants) are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem. Surgery is kept as a last resort to improve the quality of life of the patient.
Indications of surgery are- pain causing disability, numbness, weakness, loss of urinary or bowel control.
You might benefit from a surgery in retarding the progression of your symptoms. Do discuss it with your spine surgeon and plan accordingly.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Having low back pain. Feeling tingling and numbness in foot. Not able to balance. Suggest 6 hours later
Thank you for your response. Do I need surgery? I have great weakness in the left leg, pain that is debilitating and has kept me from working as a floor nurse lifting, and transferring patieints I am a RN, and I worked the floor. Do you think that I would be a candidate for surgery with HTN that is controlled? And will I ever be able to return to floor nursing? Or should I look at moving to a desk type job?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
From the severity of the symptoms it seems that you are a good candidate for surgery. A well controlled hypertension is not a problem. Even after the surgery, it is best to start with a desk type job as any kind of stress to the back can cause a further damage.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Having low back pain. Feeling tingling and numbness in foot. Not able to balance. Suggest 3 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal, I must say that you have been a tremendous help. I will thank you very much for your help........ Many blessings to you.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
You are welcome.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards