Having low back pain. Diagnosed compression. Prescribed muscle relaxants. Suggested spinal extension exercises. Can use lumbar sacro belt?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having back pain on the lower back side since three weeks.
My job is desk related and I sit for 9-10 hrs a day. (with usual break of 2-5 mins an hour)

Regarding this, I consulted a physiotherapic doctor in direct. He asked me to do some physical movements (moving legs, bending down) and I was able to do them without any pain. He said, there is no injury or compression and there won't be a need to take Xray or any scan for further diagnosis. Gave me some muscle relaxant tablets. I took it for 5 days and still the pain didn't reduce. Suggested some spinal extension exercises however I am yet to start them as the pain has not reduced yet.

Last week, I started wearing lumbar sacro belt during work hours. It seems to reduce my pain. But when i removed it yesterday and start to work on it, I feel the pain is still there.

My question is:
1) Is it advisable to wear a lumbar sacro belt. Are there any disadvantages. (I heard from my colleagues that it doesn't support our back but compress the abdominal muscles to relax the back which is not good)

2) What is the right time to wear belt? during bed time or work hours or always?

Any suggestions on these two will be helpful for me.

Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can use the belt for few weeks.

Detailed Answer:
You are suffering from what we call the industrial back ache. The first step is to ensure that you maintain an appropriate posture while working on the desk. Take frequent stretch breaks and drink lots of water. Discontinue using pillow while sleeping straight. Do not lift heavy objects, especially after bending down. Eat a healthy wholesome meal which should satisfy your minerals and proteins requirement.

The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible. You can also undergo a weeks session of traction at your physiotherapist's clinic.

You can use the lumbosacral belt to support your back muscles in times of acute pain. Doing a hot fomentation will also help in relieving the pain.
It is used only till your muscles regain the adequate strength with the help of regular exercises. It is not harmful to use it for 2-3 weeks.
The belt should be worn only during the work or while you are sitting. You can remove the belt while resting at bed time.
Last but not least, if its unbearable take medications or muscle relaxants prescribed by your orthopedician. And if it has been long standing illness visit your orthopaedician and clinically-radiologically establish a diagnosis to commence definitive treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having low back pain. Diagnosed compression. Prescribed muscle relaxants. Suggested spinal extension exercises. Can use lumbar sacro belt? 4 hours later
Thanks for the detailed mail doctor. It completely makes sense.

I have a last question. I drive a geared two wheeler (10-15 mins distance from office to home) and there are lots of pits/ speed-brakers on the . Is this related to the cause of the pain as well.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can also be the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. A bumpy road can cause sudden jerks to the back causing a muscle pull or a muscle spasm adding to the back pain. Do avoid the pits and drive slowly. You can also choose an alternative road for going to office.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.