Having lot of milky discharge. Could it be a yeast infection?

I have a lot of discharge that smells sour does not itch and is milky though sometimes curd like. Was tested for everything a few months ago and never heard any bad news. It doesn't burn when I go to the bathroom. Majority of the time is white or clear, have seen some darker but not very often. Can I have a yeast infection if it doesn't itch? Or and std that was over looked? I tend to see more right when I finish my period, i am also on birth control
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Curd like discharge is typical of Candida (yeast) infection.

In your case however the discharge is sometimes curd like and sometimes watery. As the amount of discharge varies with menstrual cycle you perhaps have a mixed infection.

I understand that you have been evaluated earlier, but it is not a bad idea to repeat the test. I suggest you to get yourself examined by Gynecologist especially when you have profuse discharge - she may send vaginal discharge for investigations and accordingly will put you on treatment.

In the interim take yoghurt in your diet along with probiotic drinks. They help in the growth of good bacteria inside the vaginal. In addition do not wash your vagina too much - it disturbs the normal micro flora of vagina and practice safe sex with condom always.

Hope this answers your query. Please write back if you need more information.

Best wishes