Having lot of discomfort below ribs and across back. Experience nausea. What can this be?

i have had alot of discomfort below my ribs on my left side and across my back under my lungs for quite a while. i also experience nausea every morning that would be associated with pregnancy or sea sickmess. i am o74 years old so i guess that would limit some of these symptons.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 28 minutes later
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

I hope you are not having any cough, expectoration or dyspnea and there is no problem in bowel movements as you haven't mentioned them . Discomfort below ribs on left side, across back along with nausea in morning may be due to acid peptic disease or dysmotility. So for these what you have to do is:
1.Avoid fatty meals
2. Don't lie down soon after meals for at least half hour
3.Take small and frequent meals, instead of full meals at a time
4. wear loose clothes
5. If you are overweight or obese do weight reduction with dieting and exercise

Among the medications:
1. Take a proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole along with some prokinetic agent
2.Take some antispasmodic like mebeverine

If symptoms are not relieved after these medications and advise then visit a doctor who will examine you personally and may advise investigations like ultrasound abdomen, and endoscopy and may be chest xray

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.