Having loss of appetite and feeling nausea after gallbladder removal. Any ideas?

General Surgeon
I am a 28 year old female. I am 5'4" and 140lbs (This is after a 5lb weight loss from not being able to eat). I had my Gallbladder out 7 months ago for Chronic Cholecystitis and small gravel stones. After being pain free for the past 6 months I began to have loss of appetite. Nausea at times. RUQ pain that radiates to my right shoulder blade. The pain is on and off at all times but much worse within 2 hours of eating a meal. Had labs drawn last week (when pain was not very present) All came back normal. Had an Ultrasound today with CBD measuring 7mm. I'm sick of not being able to eat and the pain is not easing up. Any ideas? The doctor gave me a script for more labs but I am to get them drawn when the pain is at its worst. Mid epigastric and RUQ extremely tender on examination/palpation.
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

It is very common that patients with RUQ and gall stones are treated for cholcecystitis without checking any other causes of such pain. You should know, that basically there is no such condition called chronic cholecystitis. It is a term used for describing repeated acute cholecystitis. And it is very often misused as an easy explanation of such pains. It is very easy to remove gallbladder and many patients find it as a remedy, but some do not.
What you are suffering is probably peptic ulcer. It gives very similar symptoms to gallstones. So in my opinion you should have upper GI endoscopy to rule out peptic ulcer and have Helicobacter Pylori test. If the endocsopy will come negative, ECPR might be helpful as it is always possible of little stone presence in biliary tract. However, liver lab tests should indicate such condition.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.