Having loose motions. Given metrogyl. Cure?

General Surgeon
I have been having loose motions. Initially I was given nor metrogyl for 5 days.
It improved , but again I an having problems, today I have been suggested to ake norflox t z

What is recommended
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Loose motions can be caused by gastrointestinal infection due to bacteria or viruses. This is the most common reason of such symptoms. However at your age, every stool problem should be checked with possible colon cancer. It is because the risk of colon cancer significantly rises over the age of 50. That is why, every person older than 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years.

According to known recommendations, every diarrhea which lasts longer than 48 hours should be checked with stool tests. This will allow to determine if there is an infection, and if so, which bacteria is causing it. Moreover blood in stool will be checked.

So in conclusion, please make stool tests and stool culture tests. Get scheduled for colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.