Having loose motion. What medicine should I take?

I am having loose motion since last night. Frequency since this morning till now 3.50pm is 6 times. What medicine should I take - Redotil or Prepro/Darolac? I feel like vomiting, but it's not too intense. I also feel cold but don't have fever yet.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

You seem to be suffering from an acute gastro-enteritis. Redotil (Racecadotril) is an anti-diarrhoeal which arrests the loose stools. Prepro and Darolac are medication which contain pro-biotics (i.e. healthy bacteria) and enzymes which are usually useful in chronic loose stools or bowel irregularities, like water and salts which are lost. For this purpose, you can continue to take plenty of ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution) e.g. Electral - available as satchets which have to be mixed in a litre of water or sometimes available as readymade solutions also.

In your symptoms become severe or prolonged or if you develop fever or blood in stools, then you need to be started on antibiotics.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist