Having lips swelling along with mosquito bites in hands, legs and back. Taking allegra. How to treat allergy?

Allergist and Immunologist

I am suffering from some allergies. Initially it was very severe like my lip was also swelling along with mosquito bite like structures all over my legs and hands and back. then i showed it to a physician and he asked to take allegra after which there is no swellin on lips but when i am not taking any medicines the mosquito bites all over my legs and back. Please can you advise what could be the reason for such allergy??
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Your symptoms are suggestive of chronic urticaria, and triggers are: heat, stress, infection-related outbreaks or exacerbations of urticaria, autoimmunity (thyroid disorders).

Normal soap dries the skin and makes the skin itchy, when you itch the pressure triggers another attack or episode of urticaria. So better to use a moisturiser like Cetaphil soap/moisturiser or Aloe vera based after a bath. Cold helps relieve the symptoms as it dampens the effect of histamine. This is the chemical that gets released in urticaria and therefore antihistamines help.

The following are extended 'urticaria panel of blood tests':
1. Complete blood count MCV
2. Liver function tests
3. Antinuclear antibody screen
4. C3 C4 levels
5. Ferritin levels
6. 25OH D3 levels
7. TSH fT4
8. Anti-TPO and anti-TG
9. Fasting blood glucose & fasting cholesterol profile

Long-acting antihistamines for a 3 month duration is required, after which another evaluation is done to see if stopping the antihistamine medications have led to a resolution of this condition.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Having lips swelling along with mosquito bites in hands, legs and back. Taking allegra. How to treat allergy? 18 hours later
Hi Sir

Thank you for your advice.

I have done the blood tests and after seeing the reports only the physician had prescribed for Allegra. I have uploaded the reports here for your reference

I will do the other tests and will again get back to you.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 4 hours later

Going through the reports, the liver function test SGPT is a bit elevated, that will require to be repeated in 6-8 weeks. If it still remains abnormal, you will need a viral hepatitis screen and a liver ultrasound scan.

Total IgE is normal, some patients have very high IgE levels and a course of antihelminths is suggested. You will not need this.

Continue on the antihistamines if things have settled down with the skin.

Best Wishes.