Having liposuction. Is pre doses of Bromaline and Arnica helpful in reducing bruising? Can I take after surgery?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am having a cosmetic procedure this coming Friday (liposuction). I heard that pre doses of Bromaline and Arnica is helpful for anti inflammatory and reduction in brusing. What would be the dosage of both and how many days prior /after surgery should I begin taking them?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 59 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query

Despite some doubts, my opinion and experience (and some studies confirm this) is that it is efficient and useful in postoperative recovery. It wont effect the final cosmetic result and don't expect some magnificent results, but it can prevent excessive swelling, bruising and postoperative pain. You should know that results and recovery will be satisfying if procedure was adequately done and no medicines or herbal supplements can replace this.

Dosage may depend on kind of surgical procedure but in liposuction it is recommended to use it 2 days before and 5-7 days after the surgery, but of course consult your surgeon before because some surgeons consider that it might cause prolonged bleeding problems during the procedure
Also, try not to combine these with anticoagulants and anti-aggregation drugs.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.