Having lightheadness, pounding sound in head and ammonia like smell. What could this be?

I have lightheadness, pounding "sound in head XXXXXXX and ammonia like smell. What could this be?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The light-headednesses and the pounding sound in the head could be complication raised from faulty blood flow to the brain.Such circulatory deficiency can happen when there are disturbances related to Blood pressure of heart functioning.I suggest you to get your Blood pressure examined on three different occasions when in rest and if any deviation from normal is observed then consulting an Internist would be essential.

The ammonia like smell could either be related to surroundings or due to infection and subsequent foul smelling boogers .Here, I would recommend an ENT specialist first to rule out any problem in the nose.I do not consider it to be any how related to the symptoms you have in the head.

Please come up with follow ups, if any.

Follow-up: Having lightheadness, pounding sound in head and ammonia like smell. What could this be? 2 hours later
Would the fact that I was in a swimming pool doing laps and my ears got wet have anything that might contribute to this problem other than what your answer is?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 29 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

No, ear infections , trapped water or dampened ear wax can result in Heaviness in the head . I would suggest you to get your BP examined, if it is normal then there would be no need to worry as such symptom can be seen in mild anxiety too .

Hope I cleared your doubts.

Wish you good health.