Having lightheaded. Have increased post nasal drip. Help?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
I am 62 and in good health. 2 weeks ago I began to experience brief episodes of lightheadedness (not vertigo/spinning) that would last 1-3 seconds, and would occur several times a day. I do have increased post nasal drip, but no other symptoms. My doctor doesn't know what might be the cause.
Can you help and do I need to be concerned. Thanks. I am somewhat hypocondriacal, and worried.
Many thanks.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.
First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious neurological problem.
few things to check would be:
1. Blood pressure- in sitting and standing position. especially look for any fall in BP when standing.
2. Hemoglobin- low hemoglobin (anemia) can cause light headed XXXXXXX
3. Deficiency of vitamin B12 and vitamin D should also be excluded.

Please ensure good sleep, regular meals and avoid stress.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar Md DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Having lightheaded. Have increased post nasal drip. Help? 38 minutes later
Thank you, Doctor. Any chance this could be a mild case of BPPV? It developed a day or so after an intensive dental cleaning. Thanks again for your prompt response. It certainly helped reduce my anxiety.

Best regards.

YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.
It is unlikely to be BPPV, as in BPPV, there would be episodes of vertigo/dizziness, which tend to get aggravated with change of head and neck position, associated with nausea and vomiting.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Having lightheaded. Have increased post nasal drip. Help? 36 minutes later
Don't mean to be a pest. 1 last question - you've been very helpful. The reason I ask about BPPV is that while I have no nausea, etc, my lightheadedness seems triggered by head movement - especially up or down. Not every time but occasionally each day.

Thanks. I promise not to bug you again.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 38 minutes later
Thank you for getting back, and I appreciate your questions.

As I mentioned, the main symptom in BPPV is dizziness or vertigo or giddiness, where one has a sense of rotation, and has imbalance issues for a few seconds while walking. Since your main symptoms are not suggestive of these, BPPV is less likely.

I will be pleased to answer if you have any more doubts/concerns.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)