Having lightening bolt type pain from arm, through the chest. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
In the am, my son says he has like a lightening bolt type pain that generates from the left arm, through the chest to his right arm. Two mornings in a row. He is one vacation at the Keys and called me to google this. Can you help. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain that your son has described is likely to be due to nerve irritation due to a wrong posture while sleeping or a muscle sprain or shoulder tendonitis. It is less likely to be associated with any serious causes like cardiac causes if there is no breathlessness or sweating.
It is best to avoid sleeping with his arm over his head, take a mild pain killer and if possible a muscle relaxant. This is likely to improve in 4-5 days. In case the symptoms are persistent then do consult an orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.