Having light headedness. Done with MRI of brain and ultrasound of neck arteries. Suggest further course of treatment?

My mother is 95. She takes no prescription medications. Her general health is good. However, her one complaint is "lightheadedness", which she is careful to point out is NOT dizziness. Her quality of life would be greatly improved if this issue could be addressed. She's had MRIs of the brain, ultrasounds of the neck arteries, ear examinations, etc. Apparently, there is nothing "structurally" wrong with her head. I've started thinking about more remote possibilities, such as hydrocephaly, viral syndrome, or a sub-acute bacterial infection. Do you have any other thoughts that I may incorporate into our thinking and possible course of treatment? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Lightheadedness has varied reason. If an elderly lady complaints of light headedness, I think of hypotension as the first possibility. Therefore it would be great if you can record her blood pressure whenever she complaints. You can also get her blood pressure checked in lying down and standing posture to see if any postural drop is found.

If her blood pressure is normal, the second possibility I would consider is metabolic disturbance. And electrolyte imbalances is the most common metabolic disturbances. It would also be worthwhile to check her serum electrolyte and other metabolic components. Her physician will know about these tests.

Lastly inadequate hydration coupled with gut infection can lead to imbalance resulting in light headedness.

Since MRI is normal, hydrocephalus is ruled out.

Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification.