Having light bleeding and cramping in lower abdomen. Due to depo shot. Could I be pregnant?

Hi, I got my first depo shot aug 31st and am due for another nov 22nd. About a month and a half into the depo I had no period. I took anitbiotics bc I thought I had a kidney infection. I took that for a week which I think was around the time I ovulated. I had light bleeding and spotting for about 2 weeks. Then it went away. Now im cramping mostly on my right side but also the whole lower abdomen. I took 3 accu clear tests, 2 negative, one faint positive. Could I be pregnant as I was having unprotected sex. Some days I feel like im starving, some days im full within a couple bites. My breasts do get sore, I get headaches and im so bloated.
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pregnancy unlikely as ovulation is inhibited. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. At the outset, let me inform you that the depo-shot is meant to inhibit ovulation owing to the high hormone levels and as such, pregnancy cannot occur. Though the injection can be useful up to 14 weeks, a repeat dose is needed every 12 weeks for better efficacy. Menstrual disturbances are a side effect of the injection. Antibiotics may have precipitated the effect. Though chances of conception are only about 0.3 %, in view of the positive pregnancy test, I would ask you to get a serum beta-hCG assessment to clarify the issue. Also, please get a sonogram, preferably trans-vaginal, to locate the cause of the cramping. A renal assessment also may be needed. Please see a specialist and get a proper evaluation and do not self-medicate yourself. Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.