Having lesion at the base of teeth. Got infected. Filled with pus. Suffer bad smell in mouth. Used canker sore gel. Suggestions?

ENT Specialist
Hi I have a lesion at the base of my front right teeth, approximately a half inch long. It looks more like a slit which has opened up and gotten infected rather than a spot, or a round sore. It has opened up a bit and I can see what looks like pus in the middle of the sore. It has been in my mouth for at least five days, and just recently it began to smell inside of my mouth . . . I have bad breath which I could smell myself. Last night I put a canker sore gel on top of it to help it heal. I have no sexually transmitted diseases, and neither does my wife and we are both faithful, no other partners.

One more piece of information is that I have been swimming in the Hudson River in a relatively clean section north of Glens Falls, NY, where there is no dioxin. There is a swimming area there during the summer with lifeguards. I swim 45 minutes and a little river water does get into my mouth when I am doing the crawl stroke. I will not be swimming anymore till this clears up
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dental abscess, dental X-ray, biopsy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. This appears to gingival swelling with a draining sinus.

2. Get a dental reference and a dental X-ray.

3. Possible causes are a cold abscess related to a dental root, epulis, parulis, minor salivary gland tumor.

4. Treatment will include medication and local clearance. An excision biopsy will help find the tissue of origin.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.