Having leg pain. Took tylenol. Muscle ache? What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, My nine year old daughter has been complaining of leg pain all day off and on, and is now crying because it hurts so much. I just gave her some tylenol. She says it is a muscle ache in both the thighs. She has had nothing like this before, only an occasional growing pain. Any ideas what it is?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 38 minutes later
The sudden pain on the legs in a 9 year old can be due to -
1. Muscle pain: Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain of an infection - may be a viral infection.
2. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream.
Sometimes, it can be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that her intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. She can drink Oralyte for this.
In case the pain is persistent, she might need oral muscle relaxants and hot fomentation. Do consult a physician for the same.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.