Having left lower quad cramps pain with green diarrhea. Should I worry?

General Surgeon
I've been having left lower quad cramps pain with green diarrhea for 2 days. No other symptoms. Should I be worried?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial infection is most probable.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Diarrhea is usually caused by bacterial infection (so called food poisoning). With this condition, abdominal pain can be at any location. Nausea and fever can be also present.
If you have had constipation before, lower left abdominal pain can be caused by diverticulitis (inflammation of a pouches in the large intestine wall). Due to this condition also diarrhea can appear. The painful area should be tender when palpating.
Ovarian cyst or inflammation should be also considered.

As every diarrhea which lasts longer than 48 hours should be diagnosed with stool tests, I suggest you to visit your doctor and have this test done. Please discuss with your doctor antibiotic treatment.

In case of diverticulitis possibility, blood work and ultrasound should be done (WBC should be elevated and diverticles visible in the ultrasound). Antibiotic treatment should be ordered and colonoscopy done when an inflammation will be healed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having left lower quad cramps pain with green diarrhea. Should I worry? 9 minutes later
Thank you. I believe I had food poisoning 10 days ago. Could it still be lingering? Also, I never had constipation before, so I'm hoping diverticulitis is not an issue. Assuming that it is food poisoning, the occasional sharp pain in my LLQ ( usually right before a BM) is not unusual? If it lasts more than 48 hrs, I will get checked out. Thnx.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, food poisoning can still be present.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, food poisoning can still give symptoms.
Lack of constipation rules diverticulitis out.
In case of food poisoning, abdominal pain can be in any location including LLQ. SO nothing unusual in that.
Stool tests seems to be necessary. Rifaximine treatment (prescription only antibiotic) can be beneficial.