Having knot on neck and feels thyroid gland swollen. Mother hypothyroid. Will I also show up after many years?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have a marble like knot on the right side of my neck. It feels like it is part of my mid-jugular, but I can't feel it on the left side. It is very round and smooth feeling. I did have an abbcessed tooth about a month or so ago, but it went away with antibiotics. I just noticed this knot about a week ago. It doesn't hurt & you can't see it. Also, my right tonsil has been larger than my left for about 6-7 years.
I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also, for the same amount of time my thyroid gland has been kind of swollen looking.
I've seen doctors for the thyroid several times, but my blood work always comes back normal. My mom is hypo, could this be what is causing all this? Would it show in blood work after 6-7 years?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 53 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. This knot is most likely a lymph node.

2. A recent dental infection may be responsible for this lump.

3. Get an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of the lump, Neck Ultrasound (USG), chest X-rays, and routine blood tests done.

4. If this lump moves with swallowing, it may be linked to the thyroid. The Jugulo-Digastric lymph node which drains the tonsil is higher up in the neck near the angle of the jaw. You should also get the tonsils examined.

5. It seems unlikely that a long-standing thyroid is involved unless you have abnormal thyroid function tests or antibodies.

6. Other rare causes such as branchial or thyroglossal cysts, chronic infections such as a cold abscess and such other conditions may have to be ruled out by direct examination.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having knot on neck and feels thyroid gland swollen. Mother hypothyroid. Will I also show up after many years? 3 hours later
It does move when I swallow, but it is up higher than the butterfly shaped (thyroid.) can lymph nodes be hard? I thought they rolled around under the skin. This lump feels hard and is about the size of a nickel. It doesn't roll around, but feels like it moves up and then back down when I swallow.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If this swelling moves on deglutition (swallowing), it must be attached to the larynx (voice box) like the thyroid.

2. There is a superficial and deep set of neck lymph nodes, hence this may still be a lymph node. Lymph nodes can be firm or hard on palpation.

3. Theoretically, thyroid tissue may occur anywhere between the thyroid and the base of the tongue along the a Thyroglossal tract. It may also be a part of the Pyramidal lobe of the thyroid. It may be a salivary gland.

4. A Neck USG and an FNAC will easily identify this swelling. Hence you must get this done as soon as possible

Regards.