Having knee problem. X-ray showed early signs of osteoarthritis. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
This is in continuation of my previous query on my knee problem. I have given the link below to the previous query..

Subsequently, I consulted a general physician for my right knee problem and the GP advised to take an X-ray. The X-ray summary mentioned as "early signs of osteoarthritis is found". The GP however mentioned to me that nothing serious and not to worry and that its just due to the age factor.

I'm just 38 now. I do have a sort of discomfort in my right knee and even when playing badminton, I always get a sense of what might happen if stretched further...a sense of fear that the injury would aggravate.. I do want to continue badminton and at the same time get rid of this completely.

Pls. Advise what should I do next.

Thanks & Regards
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later

I have studied your case and seen your previous query.

As your x XXXXXXX suggests early sign of arthritis, you should continue cartilage-protecting medicine like glucosamine sulphate with chondrotin sulphate.
Do not worry about stretching of tissue but get prepared for that with ample quadriceps exercises.

As you are having pain in spite of doing exercises and medicine, you may now do MRI knee, to see for any meniscus or cartilage injury, which can be managed with key hole surgery, and you can continue badminton without pain.

Yes, intra-articular steroid injection can help for couple of month by reducing inflammation. Continue mild painkiller.

Hope this will answer your query.