Having knee pain after going for gym. What could be the reason?

Hi ! I am 43 years.Male. I am 85 Kgs weight and about 179 cm height. I am regularly going to gym and do 5.00 km running in 30 min. After that 30 min cross trainer and another 30 min some streching and weights. My knees are paining when i am climbing steps or standing from sitting position. My cartilage is thickness has gone down as per X XXXXXXX But No pain while walking or running...! Can i continue running ? Some friends are saying that it will lead to severe Knee OA and some are saying that running can strengthen my knee joints....I am confused. Pl. advice me .Really i love running.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Exercise
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

At this point in time I suggest you rest till the point of no pain while climbing steps and standing. That is the best action that you should take. Rest your muscles, joints and ligaments. You need this break once 6 months. This helps the tissues regain and rejuvenate. This is apart from the weekly rest. This breaks should increase as you age.

The chances of Osteoarthritis will increase if you continue to run and cross train as you are now. Your capacity to exercise will reduce as you age. You can only reduce the time gradually than increasing it. This is evident by your description of the course of the events. To keep running for longer time you should intelligently act by reducing the time of running and increase the frequency of breaks. You can reduce the distance by reducing the speed. You can increase the time of exercise with more breaks if you wish to cover the same distance. You can break the complete program in two shifts also.

The cartilage thins as you age and that is natural process. Do not worry. This should not stop you completely from exercising. Running would not strengthen the joints but will help the muscles which hold the joint in place.

Let me know if you have any more confusion before you take proper action.
Follow-up: Having knee pain after going for gym. What could be the reason? 22 hours later
Thanks for the answer. Any tablets like glucosamine sulfate are useful to rejuvinate the
Cartilage? Hope i can do brisk walk on a treadmill to reduce the impact. Or Really i have to
stop exercising for some time?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 minutes later

The evidence for Glucosamine sulfate to rejuvenate the cartilage is limited. Though a lot of Orthopedic Surgeon are prescribing it at their patient insistence, they may not mean to bring great results. If it's price is affordable you can go ahead and take it. However the results are long awaited over an year.

The best place to walk is on a muddy track with proper gear. You may choose treadmill alternatively. You may not stop exercise but continue after you achieve the painless state upon climbing.

Hope this helps. If you have no further queries please close our discussion and rate my answer.