Having knee pain. Feel lump behind the knee. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
KNEE PAIN STARTED 4 WEEKS AGO AFTER TWISTING KNEE WHILE OUT RUNNING.INITIAL PAIN BEHIND KNEE, NOW BACK OF KNEE TIGHT AND WHEN IN CROUCHED POSITION THERE APPEARS TO BE A LUMP BEHIND KNEE TO LOWER OUTSIDE EDGE.I AM AN INTERNATIONAL VET RUNNER PART OF THIS PROBLEM MAY BE DUE TO OVERUSE.NOW PROBLEM SEEMS TO SHIFT BETWEEN TIGHTNESS BEHIND KNEE TO PAIN BELOW OR TO SIDE OF KNEE.SOME DAYS I FEEL OK.MORE CONCERNED NOW ABOUT LUMP BEHIND KNEE,THIS LUMP IS NOT THERE WHEN LEG IS IN STRAIGHT POSITION
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

From the description of your symptoms , I think the lump behind the knee could be "POPLITEAL CYST OR BAKER CYST".

This cyst occurs in the back and outer part of the knee joint and presents as a mass. Typically this mass tends to enlarge after vigorous exercise or activity and subsides with rest.

These cyst are most commonly associated with intraarticular pathology (problems inside the knee joint) like "meniscal tears", degenerative and rheumatoid arthritis.

Majority of these cysts can be treated non surgically by
*Non steroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS)
* Compression sleeves
* Aspiration and intra cystic injection of corticosteroid (at times )

If this conservative management fails, then an open excision may be needed.

An Ultrasound or MRI will identify the cyst. MRI is preferable because it is helpful in identifying the other soft tissue problems in the knee joint.

Hope, I have answered your question. Happy to help if you need any more clarification.

Good day