Having knee pain. Done with X-ray. Knee replacement surgery required?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Attached is my mother's xray report. Pls suggest does shae really need to go for knee replacement surgery . She suffers pain in normal day to day routine.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
There are no reports attached with the query.
The pain in the knees at her age is most commonly caused by osteoarthritis.
Osteoarthritic changes are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relieves. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Knee replacement surgery is the last resort in case of severe stiffness and unbearable pain not relieved by the medicines. Sometimes there is deformity of the knee joint also. An X-ray will not help in the definitive diagnosis of the extent of degeneration of the knee joint.
I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests and CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment. Only for a mild pain that can be relieved with rest and medicines, surgery is not recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having knee pain. Done with X-ray. Knee replacement surgery required? 9 hours later
I am unable to attach X XXXXXXX reports due size constraints. Is there any other way I can send same to you. Also can you suggest some good doctor in gurgaon ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If you cant upload the reports here then you can send them by e.mail at YYYY@YYYY with the subject ATTN: DR. XXXXXXX TAYAL.
To find a good Orthopedician nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for an orthopedician in your area at
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Having knee pain. Done with X-ray. Knee replacement surgery required? 6 hours later
X XXXXXXX reports forwarded.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
I have seen the reports attached.
This is suggestive of mild osteoarthritic changes in both the knee joints. Any knee replacement surgery is not immediately needed if she is getting adequate relief with the pain killers and conservative treatment.