Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Having klebsiella pneumoniae, ecoli vaginal infection. on sulphamethoxalone. open heart surgery for mitral valve repair. Necessary to postpone surgery ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist
Practicing since : 1988
Answered : 43 Questions
Question
I have a klebsiella pneumoniae and ecoli vaginal infection with burning. My obgym prescribed sulphamethoxalone today for 1o days. I have open heart surgery in 5 days for site or get o into my blood. Or hinder my recovery? Or get into my urinary tract thru catheter? Should I. Postpone the surgey?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
 
 
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 27 hours later
Hi,

I have gone through your query.

It is ideal to make sure that there is no underlying infective focus anywhere in the body prior to any surgical procedure especially if it is a valve surgery as there is a risk of postoperative infection. Your surgeon would be the best person to take a decision whether surgery needs to be postponed or not and i would recommend that you discuss this with him.

With regards,

Dr. A. Gopi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Follow-up: Having klebsiella pneumoniae, ecoli vaginal infection. on sulphamethoxalone. open heart surgery for mitral valve repair. Necessary to postpone surgery ? 3 hours later
My surgeons nurse who takes all of his calls, says she only told/my doctor/that I was on sulphamethoxalone for a vaginal infection, and acted annoyed that I wanted her to tell him that it was the klebsiella pneumonia bacteria. She said she would tell him, but I would like to speak with the surgeon personally myself. This nurse has given me misinformatipn before, and I'm not sure if she will tell the doctor. It is Saturday and I could see if my doctor is on call and see if he recived the information, and whether he still wants to proceed. My surgery is on Tuesday, and there. Are people taking time off of work to go with me to the hospital, who would need to know if we needed to reschedule.

I don't want to bother my surgeon and have him think I am an annoying patient, do u think its ok to call him?
And is there anythingelse I can do other than the aantibiotic to get rid of this infectio?
Thank You So Much.
You are doing a great service for people.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
 
 
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 12 hours later
Hi again,

You will be on 5 days of antibiotics prior to your surgery which is good enough and if your symptoms have been relieved in all probability there should not be a problem for surgery. If your symptoms are persisting I would personally defer surgery and I think you should talk to him before admission. If your symptoms are relieved at least make sure you personally talk to him after admission so that you know that he is aware of the situation.

With regards,

Dr. A. Gopi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor